Tuesday, November 15, 2011

SEXLESS IN THE CITY 2: MY CAMPAIGN FOR SAFE SEX AGAINST HIV

It was a Saturday night December 11, 2010 when I wrote SEXLESS IN THE CITY TO AVOID HIV / AIDS IN THE PHILIPPINES. It was the day that the Philippines was declared included in HIV High Risk Countries and ranked 9th in the world!


It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS but no one should die of ignorance. ~ Elizabeth Taylor




At that time, 5 Filipinos a day are at risk of contracting HIV and I strongly expressed before that sexual intercourse is the major mode of transmission through unprotected sexual relations.


Today, a friend posted on his Facebook profile, "I can't get over the news last night. Two of my friends are HIV positive and they have been a couple for almost a decade. So young... but who cares, as long as you have each other, I'll be a friend to you... be safe and God bless". This is so sweet of my friend but it took me some minutes to process, muster my strength to call my friend to ask how his friends got HIV and I was told in a one-liner, "Multiple partners sex". That blew me away!


I'm a Pro-Life advocate but when it comes to HIV concerns, I've always been vocal about condom issues in my country. With PH becoming fast a sex tourism spot I definitely urge the persistent push of condom use for sexually active people. I once read somewhere that the US Ambassador to the Philippines, Harry Thomas said that about 40% of foreign men allegedly visiting the Philippines for sex is a subtle justification for an intensified campaign for "safe sex". I then agreed with someone in authority back in that article I read that there is something deep about that statement and that there is a real need to push a more aggressive "safe sex" program via all-out condom promotion because this is really, really scary!


Recalling a news about a 28 years old overseas Filipino worker who arrived in Cebu last January 2011 was found positive with HIV. He is the first confirmed HIV case this year and he had sadly, unintentionally spread the virus directly to 10 people in Cebu City where in 2010, 41 HIV cases was documented.


Although there are other ways where HIV is transmitted, it is through sexual intercourse that majority of these cases were spread and for me, it is not only the usage of condom that can help prevent the fast rising HIV cases in the Philippines but being sexless, monogamous and being faithful is still the best way to fight the dreaded deadly disease. 


I've always considered that AIDS has two meanings: suicide and murder.  ~ JL
I would like to re-post what I believe is best for us concerning HIV:


1. PROTECT YOURSELF or BE SEXLESS IN THE CITY
If you are single and sexually active, always wear a condom! Choose your sexual partner(s)...better with the ones that have been tested. If you're not ready to take the responsibility for your own health, be sexless in the city abstain from sex. If you're married, I think it's high time to quit cheating around and having multiple sexual relations.



2. GET TESTED
Click on this link LIST OF ACCREDITED HIV TESTING LABORATORIES IN THE PHILIPPINES and go to the nearest testing center nearest your area. Remember, this is really now alarming!



Just like last year, I opt to remain sexless in the city till someone I can truly trust, comes my way and I'll remain loyal to him for as long as he does it only with me. Hell, it's life that's involved here! 


Whether it be a no-strings attached / no-commitment type of a relationship... if sex is to come between two people, still, safe sex should be practiced. And, If I get involve in this type, the moment that I find a lover dating someone else and I know that there is a slim chance he'd be using a condom to someone else, I'd run away already and consider the person as if he has the dreaded virus. I love life, I love sex but I'd rather that I love myself more! 


If one has to think that education is very expensive, they should try ignorance. ~ JL
I still firmly stand that sex shouldn't be just sex. It should involve that higher emotion we tend to forget nowadays when it comes to coupling and I'm referring to LOVE! Making love is wonderful... getting HIV / AIDS is not!

Help fight HIV / AIDS spreading in the Philippines! Take charge of yourself! Don't abdicate your responsibility for your own sexual health... do all you can so to protect yourself from HIV / AIDS. Love yourself! Love your life... get protected!