Saturday, April 16, 2011

THE SUN CAN'T HURT PEOPLE... PEOPLE DO

 
 
While getting some tan at the pool earlier, an adorable, very pretty 5 y.o. Fil-Am girl approached her and said, "Hi. The sun loves you. It doesn't hurt you. It hates me...burns me. I want mommy's skin and yours... Filipinas are beautiful. I'm half American."

I asked her, "How old are you? and what's your name?"

She said, "I'm 5. My name is Gabby. I think I have daddy's skin."

I asked, "Where are your parents?"

And she pointed at them.

I looked at Gabby's parents... the dad is indeed white but a good-looking one and the mom is a very pretty, tanned Filipina.

I looked back at Gab, smiled at her and said, "You're beautiful as you are, Gabby. You're way too young to find out that one day the world will adore you for the half-American, half-Filipino in you. The sun loves you... you just have young sensitive skin for now but when you grow up, you'll learn it can't hurt you if you're being careful enough. The sun doesn't hate. The sun loves everyone just as we all love it. The sun can't hurt people.... People hurt themselves and people hurt people. One day, you'll know these stuff but you are too young to worry about it. Right now, go jump in the pool with your floater. I'll watch you enjoy swimming under the sun... just don't go under it for too long."

With that, I was rewarded with a great smile, a thank you and she went for a swim. :))