Monday, May 30, 2011

U2's WITH OR WITHOUT YOU... WHAT IT REALLY MEANS

With or Without You ... This song by U2 has always been my favorite song since it came out in 1987. It is the greatest song ever! I guess it's everyone's favorite considering the close to 25million likes garnered in youtube  for just this particular video alone!



I love the song but it's only lately that I began to ponder what it really means to me. This song can actually be fit into any interpretation by anyone...whether it be about religion or love, the lyrics are vague enough for it to fit various feelings.

This song reminds me of the man I care the most... not because of the lyrics but because I think of him every single time when this song comes to play or whenever I encounter it.




I never thought of any man in my life for this song before despite of it being my favorite love song till I met my special man. So whenever I hear this, I think of him.

Unbelievably profound... the drum does beat like the heart... This song for me is about a someone you love desperately but cannot be with and cannot stand to bear life without him or her which is the exact same thing I feel about the man I dearly love across the miles... who also loves this song.

Further curious about the meaning of the song, hereunder, I found an interesting interpretation in the internet:

This song has always seemed to be about somebody proposing to his wife.

See the stone set in your eyes = he's looking at the reflection of the diamond ring in here eyes. Also "setting a stone" refers to how a diamond is placed in/on the ring

See the thorn twist in your side = refers to the "bride" being unsure. You could also say it refers to twisting a ring to fit on a finger if the ring is too small.

I wait for you = waiting for her to answer

Sleight of hand and twist of fate = another reference to holding her hand and twisting the ring onto a finger.

On a bed of nails she makes me wait = nails, another hand refence. Also on a bed of nails means he's nervous.

And I wait without you = she hasnt said yes yet, so he waits alone.

With or without you = he's in limbo. He's taken a step but she hasnt said yes or no yet.

Through the storm we reach the shore you give it all but I want more = they have been through tough times together and even though she loves him, he wants more, for her to be his wife.

I can't live with or without you = he just wants an answer

Makes sense? 

It does make perfect sense indeed and so I have come to a conclusion that what makes this song so great is that we can interpret it any way we want it to. It can mean a whole lot of different things to different people and they're all right. However we take a song, if it means something to us then that's all that matters.  




This song is an incredible art form and that's the beauty of art... It doesn't always have to have one meaning.